7th Meeting Of BRICS Communications Ministers
India as the current BRICS Chair convened the 7th Meeting of BRICS Communications Ministers on 22nd October, 2021.
- Minister of State for Communications of India, Shri Devusinh Chauhan, chaired the 7th meeting of BRICS Communications Ministers through video conferencing.
- Minister of Communications of the Federative Republic of BRAZIL, Deputy Minister of Digital Development, Communications and Mass Media of the Russian Federation, Minister of Industry and Information Technologies of the People’sRepublic of CHINA, and Minister of Communications & Digital Technologies of the Republic of SOUTH AFRICA led their respective delegations.
- The Ministers recognized the significant role of ICTs in increasing the effectiveness of BRICS countries’ response to the challenges caused by the COVID-19 pandemic and assisting in recovery of economies, business continuity and minimizing the social and economic impact of the Covid-19 pandemic.
- The Ministers discussed the need to work together to develop multi-pronged approaches and reference models for affordable access to communications services and digital technologies for benefitting people, achieving Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Ministers expressed concerns on the risks and ethical dilemma related to Artificial Intelligence and encouraged members to work together to deal with such concerns and risks of Artificial Intelligence and its ethical and responsible uses.
- Ministers adopted the Terms of References of Digital BRICS Task Force and supported the advancement in work of the BRICS Partnership on New Industrial Revolution (PartNIR) across several Working Groups meeting in 2021.
- Ministers also appreciated the discussion on “36-degree approach on New Industrial Revolution” in a seminar during Working Group on ICTs Cooperation and recognized the need of BRICS members to work together for a comprehensive understanding of New Industrial Revolution, its advantages & disadvantages and its impacts on the industrial workers, job market among others.
- Ministers encouraged continuous cooperation in ICTs activities in international organizations and multilateral forums such as the International Telecommunications Union and other organizations.
- Ministers adopted the proposal to host the Digital BRICS Forum annually to facilitate sharing of information and knowledge, practices, initiatives etc. on agreed cooperation areas.
- BRICS Ministers appreciated India’s efforts in keeping up the momentum of BRICS cooperation in ICTs. The Ministers looked forward to greater cooperation in these areas.
Source : PIB