Border Security Force (BSF) Jurisdiction
- The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has extended the jurisdiction of the Border Security Force (BSF) up to 50 km inside the international borders in Punjab, West Bengal and Assam.
- At the same time, the Ministry has reduced BSF’s area of operation in Gujarat from 80 km from the border, to 50 km.
- The government said it was exercising the powers under the Border Security Force Act of 1968.
- The BSF’s powers — which include arrest, search and seizure — were limited to up to 15 km in these states.
- Powers of BSF: BSF has powers in respect of Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC), Passport (Entry into India) Act, 1920, the Passport Act, 1967, the NDPS Act, Arms Act, Customs Act and certain other laws.
Source : Indian Express