China - Japan
China has asked Japan to take back its “wrong decision” to release more than 1 million tonnes of treated water from the Fukushima nuclear plant into the ocean.
- China has also summoned Japan’s ambassador over Tokyo’s decision.
- The Japanese government insists the release from the Tsunami hit plant which has stored the large volume of water for years is safe because it has been processed to remove almost all radioactive elements and will be diluted.
- China criticised Tokyo’s decision as “extremely irresponsible” on Tuesday, complaining the plan would damage public health.
- Around 1.25 million tonnes of water have accumulated in tanks at the nuclear plant, which was crippled after going into meltdown following a tsunami in 2011.
- Japan’s Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga said that disposing of the water was an “inevitable task” in the decades-long process of decommissioning the nuclear plant
Source : All India Radio