DRDO Conducts Maiden Launch Of Akash Missile At Integrated Test Range In Odisha
Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO) has conducted the successful maiden launch of Akash-NG (New Generation) Missile from Integrated Test Range off the coast of Odisha.
- Akash-NG is a new generation Surface to Air Missile meant for use by Indian Air Force with an aim of intercepting high maneuvering low RCS aerial threats.
- The Ministry of Defence said that the missile intercepted the target with textbook precision.
- The launch met all the test objectives by performing high maneuvers during the trajectory.
- The performance of the Command and Control system, onboard avionics and aerodynamic configuration of the missile was successfully validated during the trial.
- Several range instruments including radar, EOTS and telemetry systems were used while monitoring the entire path of the missile during the test launch. The Multi Function Radar was tested for its capability of integration with the system.
- The Akash-NG system has been developed with better deployability compared to other similar systems with canisterized launcher and much smaller ground system footprint.
Source : All India Radio