EC To Push For Absentee Vote, Digi-ID, New Service Rules
- Election Commission to push for absentee vote, digi-ID, new service rules
Election Commission’s agenda,
- Linkage of the Aadhaar number with voter ID.
- Allowing voter registration as soon as a person turns 18 years.
- Ensuring gender-neutral voting rights to service voters.
- Launching of the digital voter ID for new voters.
- The first three require amendments to the Representation to People’s Act, 1951, the fourth one — a digilocker-enabled version of the voter ID — is set to be launched on January 25 at a National Voter’s Day event.
- A major item on the EC list is the Aadhaar-voter ID linkage which it wants to bring in to weed out duplications and misrepresentations from the electoral rolls.
Source : Economic Times