Field Trials Of Census And National Population Register
- The Registrar-General of India (RGI) is preparing to conduct field trials of the first phase of the Census and the National Population Register (NPR) using a mobile application in all the States and Union Territories.
- The app will contain questionnaires on house listing and housing census and the NPR.
- The Centre is planning to allow residents to fill the National Population Register (NPR) form on their own, through the online mode, a month before the door-todoor enumeration by Census officials starts.
- NPR is a Register of usual residents of the country.
- It is being prepared at the local (Village/subTown), sub-District, District, State and National level under provisions of the Citizenship Act 1955 and the Citizenship (Registration of Citizens and issue of National Identity Cards) Rules, 2003.
- It is mandatory for every usual resident of India to register in the NPR.
- The NPR was first collected in 2010 and then updated in 2015.
Source : The hindu