Index Monitoring Cell
- Recently Index Monitoring Cell (IMC) recently submitted its report to the centre.
- It was set up by the Information and Broadcasting Ministry in 2020.
- Its task is to improve India’s ranking in the World Press Freedom Index and to evolve an objective yardstick to gauge media freedom.
- The group will also put in place a mechanism for States to come up with their own rankings of press freedom.
- Decriminalising defamation
- Consent of the Press Council of India a mandatory prerequisite before filing an FIR against the media or a publication.
Composition of the IMC:
- It will include the director-general of the Press Information Bureau, officials from the Registrar of newspapers of India, Bureau of outreach and communication, and from the press facilitation unit, apart from the secretary of the Press Council of India and Niti Aayog.
Source : The Hindu and others