Places Of Worship Act - 1991
- The Supreme Court has asked the government to respond to a plea challenging the Places of Worship Act enacted in 1991 which freezes the status of places of worship as it was on August 15, 1947.
- The petition claims that is against the principles of secularism.
- It has beem filed in the court terming the law as “arbitrary, irrational and retrospective”.
- The aim of the Act was to freeze the status of any place of worship as it existed on August 15, 1947.
- It was also to provide for the maintenance of the religious character of such a place of worship as on that day.
- It says no person shall convert any place of worship of any religious denomination into one of a different denomination or section.
Source : The hindu The wire