Teesta River Dispute
Bangladesh is discussing an almost $1 billion loan from China for a comprehensive management and restoration project on the Teesta river.
- The project is aimed at managing the river basin efficiently, controlling floods, and tackling the water crisis in summers.
- India and Bangladesh have been engaged in a long-standing dispute over water-sharing in the Teesta.
Bangladesh and China
- China is the biggest trading partner of Bangladesh and is the foremost source of imports.
- Recently, China declared zero duty on 97% of imports from Bangladesh. The concession flowed from China’s duty-free, quota-free programme for the Least Developed Countries.
- China is the biggest arms supplier to Bangladesh.